The village of Saatse
According to an old church chronicle, Saatse was earlier known under the name of Korki or Gorki. The present name Saatse has been derived from a Russian village name Zatšerenje that was later turned into Satseri and then Saatse. Saatse is a Seto village and according to folk tradition it belongs to Satserinna nulk which is one of the twelve areas Setomaa was divided into by people. The village holidays in Saatse are the second Sunday after the Easter (according to the Orthodox calendar) and Päätnitsapäev, the last Friday before the 2nd of August. Celebrations begin after the sermon in the church. The oldest buildings in the village are the Holy Paraskeva Orthodox Church from 1801 and the old cemetery around the church. The previous wooden church dated from 1673. In 1839 the new stone church was supplemented with a 22-meter-high wooden belfry. In 1884 the church-building was extended in length. An 18th -century lime-tree carving inside the church has survived up to the present day. The icon “The Story of Paraskeva Pyatnitsa”, the Gospel and the Holy Communion tray are subject to protection by the state as heritages of culture. Inside the church is also a 15th-century stone cross in metal framing which is considered to be miracle-working. At the end of the village is the Saatse Seto Museum, founded in 1974. The museum is the subsidiary of the Seto Talumuuseum (Seto Farm Museum) at Värska. Its 20 000 exhibits include collections of agricultural implements and machinery, fishing instruments and pottery.

Venemaa piiripost Saatse saapas

Saatse kirik